The YDI Family Connections VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America) Program serves to combat poverty in disadvantaged communities by:
- Engaging families in the educational lives of their children
- Creating greater equity and inclusion for historically marginalized families in education
- Engaging families in school decision-making processes
- Addressing barriers to family engagement and
- Promoting leadership in school communities.
Through YDI Family Connections, VISTAs commit to serve one year in YDI school sites, providing community outreach, conducting family/community assessments and community mapping, developing and supporting family resource centers, forging community partnerships and recruiting volunteers.
Since announcing the launch of YDI Family Connections in the fall of 2013, VISTAs have impacted schools and lives at 12 school sites--all YDI 21st Century Community Learning Center and/or YDI-Elev8 New Mexico community school sites. Sites include Grant Middle School, Jimmy Carter Middle School, John Adams Middle School, Kennedy Middle School, Lavaland Elementary School, Lowell Elementary School, McKinley Middle School, S.R. Marmon Elementary School, West Mesa High School, Wherry Middle School and Wilson Middle School in Albuquerque and Laguna Middle School in Laguna Pueblo.
For more information, to volunteer or make a donation, please contact Ben Vasquez at 505-220-4497.